We’re often asked if hashtags are really that important to use on social media. The answer is an emphatic, “Yes, without a doubt!” Here are our top five reasons why hashtags are important and should be used.
1. Hashtags are essentially the new Googling
Hashtags have moved beyond #HereComesTheWeekend or a catchy phrase at the end of your caption. They now also function as search terms.
2. Hashtags give the ability to tell more about you/your business without having to include extra copy in the caption
Use hashtags to explain what you do and where you do it. When people search for it, you’ll pop up. This is one of the ways non-followers can see your content.
#PhillyArtist – tells you where they are and what they do.
3. People who follow/like/engage with hashtags or a topic will be served your content
This is another way to gain more visibility and awareness. People follow specific hashtags so that they see the latest posts on that particular topic. Also, have you noticed when you like something, you get more of the same?Algorithms are your friend!
4. Brand hashtags help when someone is searching for your page
A potential client has typed in your business name but didn’t click accounts or pages- #YourBusinessName will now pop up. This trick is especially helpful if your social media handle doesn’t match your name exactly.
5. All the cool kids are doing it
There’s a lot to be said for wanting to fit in and stand out all at the same time.
If you’re not already using hashtags- join the party! If you could use a little help with your hashtags- send us a message and let us know your challenges.